Home  > 2010 Season In Review

Georgetown Football: 2010 Season Recaps
Compiled from HoyaSaxa.com coverage.

Game #1: Davidson (Sep. 4)

 "It's a tough loss, because we expected to win this game."--Davidson RB Kenny Mantuo

Georgetown ended a 12 game losing streak in its 2010 season opener, a 20-10 victory at Davidson College Saturday night before 4,733 at Richardson Stadium.

The two teams traded punts early before Davidson QB Matt Heavner was picked off by Georgetown LB Patrick O'Donnell at the DC 41, which the Hoyas converted via a 36 yard run by RB Philip Oladeji and a three yard touchdown run by QB Scott Darby, 7-0. The Wildcats went three and out on its next series, and a 10 yard return by Zack Wilke set the Hoyas up at midfield. Georgetown drove it down the field, a nine play, 54 yard drive that saw Oladeji gain 33 of his game-high 65 yards in three carries, setting up a five yard TD run by freshman Brandon Durham to extend the lead to 14-0.

Georgetown's offense was held in check for the remainder of the half, managing just one first down. The Wildcats settled for punts on its next two series before catching fire at the end of the half, with a 14 play, 67 yard drive, aided by two fourth down conversions, to get a touchdown with 49 seconds remaining in the half, 14-7. Georgetown took a seven point lead into halftime, outgaining Davidson 154-79.

An early gain in field position set up the Wildcats to make another move in the scoring column. Georgetown was pinned back in its first series inside its 15, and the ensuing punt placed the Wildcats at the Georgetown 47. A pair of pass plays by Davidson QB Matt Heavner drove the Cats to the GU five yard line, but the defense forced a fourth down and Davidson settled for a 22 yard field goal, 14-10. Georgetown's quarter was otherwise unremarkable, managing just 23 yards in the quarter.

Taking over with 13:17 in the fourth quarter, the Hoyas needed a drive, and got it. Darby led the Hoyas on a ten play, 81 yard drive, getting back to the run which had served it will in the second quarter. Darby converted on a key 3rd and 12 pass to keep the drive alive, and a 32 yard run by RB Wilburn Logan set up Darby's 12 yard pass to WR Jeffrey Burke, 20-10.

Last GU win prior to this game

Last GU win outside DC prior to this game

Yards per carry for Georgetown

Yards per carry for Davidson

Davidson's record in openers since 2001

The Wildcats mounted a strong comeback on its next series, but a offensive holding penalty at midfield added yardage that the Cats could not overcome. Despite three straight pass completions, including a five yard pass on 4th and 8, the drive fell short and the Hoyas took over with 5:58 to play, forcing Davidson to call three timeouts to save what was left of the clock.

Davidson regained the ball with a Georgetown punt to its 12 with 2:12 to play. Aided by a roughing the passer penalty, the Wildcats moved the ball to midfield with 1:31 to play, only to give up an interception by DB Wayne Heimuli at the Georgetown 26.

The Hoyas outgained the Wildcats 296-212. Darby was 14-23 for 130 yards, with Oladeji leading all rushers with 64 yards on 15 carries. Although Georgetown had only four more offensive plays than did Davidson (67-63), they owned a full one yard advantage on yards per play (4.4 to 3.4).

The Hoyas go back on the road for its Patriot League opener Saturday versus Lafayette.

Game statistics:

                   GEORGETOWN         DAVIDSON
First downs                18               14
Rushed-yards           44-166            27-46
Passing yards             130              166
Sacked-yards lost         3-8              1-9
Return yards               31               12
Passes                14-23-0          21-36-2
Punts                  8-37.5           7-37.4
Fumbles-lost              1-0              0-0
Penalties-yards          7-65             2-12
Time of possession      31:31            28:29

Additional links follow below.

Game #2: Lafayette (Sep. 11)

Rallying from a 14 point second quarter deficit, the Georgetown Hoyas turned in its single best effort of the Patriot League era in a 28-24 win at Lafayette, ending a 13 game losing streak in league play. The crowd of 7,635 at Fisher Stadium saw the Leopards (0-1) lose its first game to Georgetown in seven years.

 To watch the opening moments of the game, however, fans on either side of the gridiron would have been hard pressed to even consider such an outcome. Off a punt from Lafayette's first possession, Georgetown RB Philip Oladeji fumbled at the 12 and set up the Leopards for an easy score, 7-0. Amazing, it would be the first of a trifecta of miscues on both sides, as the Leopards promptly bobbled the ball on its next punt (officially a -8 yard rush), setting the Hoyas up at the Lafayette four and a three play drive, where Wilburn Logan got across the end zone for a 7-7 score with 5:05 in the first quarter.

Special teams lightning struck again two series later, when Zack Wilke muffed a Lafayette punt and the Leopards collected another gift, this time at the GU 11, connecting on an easy two play drive, 14-7. Georgetown went three and out and the Leopards went to work again, an eight play drive aided by a fair catch interference penalty on the GU special teams which saw the Leopards take a 21-7 lead early in the second quarter.

Georgetown's offense was sluggish and first downs were in short supply. Outgained 82-26 in the first quarter, the Hoyas had one first down to Lafayette's four.

Georgetown punted for the third time in four series with 7:14 to play in the second quarter, which saw the Leopards move into Georgetown territory. RB Jerome Rudolph, who rushed for six of his 18 first carries in the series, was hit by DB David Quintero at the Georgetown 37, losing the ball and seeing Georgetown LB Nick parrish recover the ball for Lafayette's second turnover of the game. In many respects, it may have been a turning point, as the Hoyas responded with a nine play, 60 yard drive, aided by two pass interference calls, that ultimately saw slot back Keerome Lawrence get a six yard TD pass on third and two at the GU 6 and close the score to 17-14.

The GU defense had to compete with a two minute drill, however. The Leopards picked up a 21 yard kick return to take over with 1:15 in the half at its 35. Rudolph rushed for 10 yards, then QB Ryan O'Neil, who had thrown for all of eight yards last season, complete seven straight passes to the GU 12. Lafayette opted for a 29 yard field goal at the end of the half rather than a score, but all signs pointed to a Lafayette offense in command at the break, 24-14. O'Neil finished the half 19-23 for 153 yards, completing all last 15 passes attempted in the second quarter, a remarkable run.

But in retrospect, it is not exaggeration to call Georgetown's second half some of the the best 30 minutes in the last ten years. Offense, defense, and special teams all combined for an amazing run that Lafayette fans will long question ask ask--how did this happen? And against Georgetown?

The Hoyas opened the second half in a no-huddle offense that caught the Leopards off balance. A team not known for its passing, Darby aired it out with a 51 yard pass play to WR Max Waizenegger to close to 24-21, a three play, 48 second drive. The Leopards continued to move the ball to open the third quarter, with O'Neil leveraging both air and ground support in a 14 play drive that ate up nearly nine minutes of the quarter. Keyed by a 13 yard run by O'Neil on a 3rd and 12, Lafayette looked to put the lead back in double digits with a first and goal at the Georgetown. Rudolph rushed for four, but on second down O'Neil was intercepted in the end zone by Wayne Heimuli, and the Hoyas had escaped the first of four goal line opportunities by the homestanding Leopards.

If the Fisher Stadium crowd was not quite believing the scoreboard before GU's next series, they would soon learn to, as Darby engineered another strong drive, moving 80 yards in 10 plays with ease unaccustomed to by Georgetown teams of the past decade. When Philip Oladeji tore down the sidelines for a 30 yard touchdown, the Hoyas had its first lead, 28-24, and took a lead into the fourth quarter for only the second time in a Patriot league game since joining the league.

Not that the Leopards were desperate, however. Lafayette continued to move the ball with precision and purpose, picking up a 32 yard kick return to begin a 10 play, 52 yard drive that stalled with a breakup of passes by Jayah Kaisamba and David Quintero inside the GU 20. Settling for a field goal, sure-footed LC kicker Davis Rodriguez sailed it wide right and the lead stood tall with 13:04 remaining. Had the kick been good, Lafayette was a field goal away from the lead; but down four, it affected their strategy throughout the rest of the game.

After touchdowns on three straight possessions (and no, I haven't figured out the last time that happened), Georgetown was held to three and out and the Leopards marched into GU territory again, including a 29 yard pass from O'Neil to Mark Layton that helped move the Leopards back inside the GU red zone. It was then that O'Neil fumbled the ball when popped by Andrew Schaetzke, and the Hoyas had held a third time.

Georgetown took over with 7:57 and caught a huge break on first down. Darby with a pass that was under thrown and was picked off by Lafayette's Kyle Simpson, returning it 30 yards to the GU 12 and setting up Lafayette for another crack at the end zone. However, DB Brandon Ellis was called for defensive pass interference and the Hoyas held on the ball--and the clock. Georgetown got to midfield with under 5:00 to play and settled for a punt, but in one of his best kicks of the evening, freshman Matt MacZura pinned the Leopards to its 15, forcing a three and out series that fans at Fisher could hardly grasp...with less than three minutes remaining, the Hoyas might win this thing.

Georgetown's offense took over with 2:21 to play but the Lafayette defense held firm, forcing a punt at midfield. MacZura again pinned the Leopards at its 18 with 1:58 to play, but the Lafayette offense went to work. O"Neil suffered an injury and was replaced by senior QB Marc Quilling, moved the Leopards inside the GU 30.

With 1:00 to play, Jayah Kaisamba picked off a potential game winning pass from Quilling at the GU 3, clinching an improbable and stunning win for a Georgetown team that had not won a PL road game outside Lewisburg, PA since a 17-10 win at Lafayette in 2003.

QB Scott Darby finished the game 18-30 for 172 yards. The Georgetown ground game was held to 97 yards (42 yards in just two carries) but Georgetown got the points when it needed and carried a lead to the end instead of fighting from behind. Defensively, David Quintero led the Hoyas with 11 tackles. LB Nick Parrish, with 4.5 tackles, is at 266 for his career, within five tackles of the school's career mark, set by Tom Wonica in 1994.

Last Georgetown win in Patriot League prior to this game

Last Georgetown win over Lafayette prior to this game

Last opening game loss by Lafayette before Saturday's game

Offensive plays,

Offensive plays, Georgetown

18 carries,
97 yards

1st half stats, Lafayette RB Jerome Rudolph

6 carries,
34 yards

2nd half stats, Lafayette RB Jerome Rudolph

32 yards
Average kick return for Rudolph in four returns

Consecutive completions by Lafayette QB Ryan O'Neil in 2nd and 3rd quarters

Red zone opportunities, Georgetown

Red zone opportunities, Lafayette

41 yd. line
Avg. starting field position for Lafayette, 1st qtr.

31 yd. line
Avg. starting field position for Lafayette, 2nd qtr.

31 yd. line
Avg. starting field position for Lafayette, 3rd qtr.

18 yd. line
Avg. starting field position for Lafayette, 4th qtr.

Yards lost to penalties, Georgetown

Yards lost to penalties, Lafayette

Lafayette outgained the Hoyas 509-265. It is believed to be only the second Georgetown win in the modern era (the other being a a 57-56 OT shootout over Butler in 2000) that the Hoyas gave up 500 or more total yards of offense and won (see chart below).

"It was a true team win," said Georgetown coach Kevin Kelly, picking up only his second PL win in five seasons. "I can't tell you how big it is for our program at this point in time."

Congratulations to everyone for a memorable game, now, on to Yale.

Game statistics:

                  GEORGETOWN        LAFAYETTE
First downs               13               31
Rushed-yards           23-93           42-166
Passing yards            172              343
Sacked-yards lost        1-4             3-23
Return yards               4               -2
Passes               18-30-0          35-48-2
Punts                 6-34.3           3-33.0
Fumbles-lost             2-2              2-2
Penalties-yards         4-29             8-65
Time of possession     19:47            40:13

Additional links follow below.

Game #3: Yale (Sep. 18)

In a game that saw the teams combine for 986 yards, it came down to a one yard quarterback sneak as time expired to give Yale a 40-35 win over Georgetown at the Yale Bowl Saturday. The Hoyas (2-1) scored three touchdowns in the first seven minutes of the third quarter and held the lead until the final play of the game, with a number of memorable offensive, defensive, and special teams efforts in an outstanding team effort.

 Yale's first drive appeared reminiscent of its 47-7 rout of the Hoyas at the Yale Bowl in 2008, as the Bulldogs returned the opening kickoff to the Georgetown 41 and was inside the Georgetown red zone in just three plays. The defense stood its ground and forced a 36 yard field goal attempt that was blocked by Georgetown's Danny Thompson, one of three kicking miscues that hurt Yale all day, and may have forced its hand in the eventual game winner.

The teams began a series of drives interrupted by punts through much of the quarter, a quarter marred by frequent penalty calls. Yale quarterback Patrick Witt began a series of assaults against the Georgetown secondary midway in the quarter, completing three straight to get into Georgetown, with a long pass averted by an soaring block from 5-10 sophomore DB Jeremy Moore. Yale punted deep into Georgetown's territory, where the Hoyas coughed up the ball inside its 10 for the second time in as many games, with linebacker Jordan Haynes picking up the fumble and rolling in for the score, 7-0. Left unsaid, at least by the officials, was that Yale was caught in a defensive line change on the play and 12 men were on the field at the time of the fumble, but officials made no effort to discuss it further.

Georgetown needed an answer and got it, thanks to a 54 yard kickoff return by Dalen Claytor and a two play drive capped by an acrobatic catch by Jamal Davis on a 40 yard pass from QB Scott Darby, 7-7. The drive sent the message to the small Yale crowd (9,358) that Georgetown was not going away in this one.

The teams traded drives into the second quarter, whereupon Witt led the Elis on a nine play, 85 yard drive, reaching third down just twice, the latter of which Witt found RB Alex Thomas out of the backfield for a 20 yard pass, 14-7. Georgetown returned the favor with a 11 play, 60 yard drive that featured five penalties, including a Yale head shot on slot back Keerome Lawrence that spurred the Hoyas on. A 22 yard pass on 3rd and 15 from Darby to Patrick Ryan got the Hoyas into scoring territory, where RB Philip Oladeji broke through the Yale line for a 17 yard touchdown, 14-14.

It didn't take long for Witt to return to the scoring column, an eight play, three minute drive that was capped by a 35 yard TD pass from Witt to receiver Gio Christodoulou, one of nine receptions on the day for the Yale senior. The extra point was bobbled by the snapper, and Yale settled for a 20-14 lead.

The Hoyas took over with 4:50 in the half but stalled with two offensive penalties. A poor punt by Georgetown's Matt MacZura put the Bulldogs at where the Hoyas' first down marker stood, and Witt went back to work with just over three minutes to play. Completing 6 for 7 passes for 61 yards, Georgetown had given up a score inside the last two minutes for the fourth straight game dating to the 2009 finale with Fordham. Witt's 10 yard pass to senior Chris Blohn gave Yale a 27-14 halftime lead.

Having deferred the opening kickoff, Georgetown's Jeremy Moore awaited the second half kickoff and what followed could easily be the most exciting seven minutes in the last 20 years of football at Georgetown. From his 15, Moore shredded the Yale return team for an 85 yard touchdown to open the half, 27-21, Georgetown's first kick return for a touchdown since Nov. 6, 2004. On Yale first play following the score, Danny Thompson stuffed the rush, on the second, Witt was picked off by Jayah Kaisamba at the Yale 36.

Darby opened the series down field to Keerome Lawrence who was tripped up just short of the end zone at the seven, but it was Lawrence who took it in from two yards, 28-27, Georgetown's first lead of the game and its second touchdown in less than three minutes.

Yale's next drive picked up an early first down but no further, punting back the Hoya Georgetown 20 with 10:52 in the quarter. Darby engineered one of the best drives in recent years, passing 5-5 in a six play, 80 yard drive, 35-27.

Yale went back to action and began to test an inconsistent Georgetown run defense. RB Alex Thomas carried the ball six times in a nine play drive that rallied the home crowd and got Yale back into the game 35-34.

Yale's pass defense began to cut into the effectiveness of Georgetown QB Scott Darby. Having thrown for 285 yards midway through the third quarter, he opened a drive with 4:20 in the quarter with a 25 yard pass play to Keerome Lawrence with four minutes left in the quarter. From this point on, however, Darby was 4-11 for 30 yards, and Georgetown's aggressive offensive attitude began to stall. A key holding penalty that would have driven the Hoyas to the Yale 33 ended one drive, another died at midfield with three straight incompletions. The Hoyas' best drive took place early in the fourth, keyed by a 29 yard Yale punt and a pair of Darby passes, saw the Hoyas advance inside the Yale 10 with an insurance score very much in play.

Off a Georgetown timeout on 3rd and 6 at the Yale 9, Darby threw straight at Yale LB Will McHale, a stunning turn of events that rallied the Bulldogs with 10:20 left. Witt went to work: a grinding 14 play drive that ate up nearly nine minutes (and at least a couple Georgetown injuries). keyed by a 24 yard pass to Christodoulou and a seven yard play to Thomas to the Georgetown one, Yale stood at the one with under six to play.

Points scored by GU, first 3 games of 2010

Points scored by GU, entire 2009 season

Offensive plays,

All-purpose yards, Yale RB Alex Thomas

All-purpose yards, Georgetown back Keerome Lawrence

Number of sacks, Georgetown

Number of sacks, Yale

Red zone opportunities, Georgetown

Red zone opportunities, Yale

First half penalties, Georgetown

Second half penalties, Yale

Second half penalties, Georgetown

Second half penalties, Yale

First down, no gain.
Second down, no gain.
Third down, pass broken up in the end zone.

Yale brought out PK Barnes to take the lead via a short field goal, but a stunning GU surge blocked the 18 yard chip shot. Just as Georgetown left points on the field in Darby's interception, coach Tom Williams' decision to go for three left Yale a point short, 35-34, with time growing shorter.

Georgetown needed to run clock--it went to the air on a 3rd and 3 to pick up a first down with three minutes left, but opted to go to the ground for three running plays that left a 4th and 1 at its 26. The New Haven Register criticized the Hoyas for going conservative, but coach Kevin Kelly could not give Witt and the Bulldogs such short field position and Georgetown chose to punt it back with 1:27 and two time outs left.

Witt wasted no time at his 36 yard line: 17 yards to Thomas, 23 yards over two passes to Christodoulou. On a 3rd and 1 at the 24 with under a minute, Thomas rushed for nine yards to the to the 14, on a successive 3rd and 6 with 13 seconds left, Thomas was caught at the one.

The clock stopped on Thomas' first down with seven seconds and the officials seemed to delay getting the ball set. With a moment in his favor, coach Williams opted to go for the touchdown. Witt got under center and pushed ahead for the one yard score. The Yale scoreboard kept the clock running and the one yard run took the remaining seven seconds off the clock as the Yale players rushed onto the field. Because of the officials' inattention to the clock, the succeeding unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was waived off.

"I was a little shocked when we called the quarterback sneak," Witt said. "I knew if we didn't get in it was game over." In post-game comments, Witt envisioned walking over and throwing the winning ball into the stands (as Yale legend Brian Dowling famously did in a 1967 win over Princeton) but the pigskin fell short of the bleachers in the post-game toss. Witt's 407 yards was the sixth highest total in Yale football history, and the second most ever given up by the Hoyas, eclipsed only by a 527 yard barrage suffered in a 40-14 loss to Johns Hopkins in 1991.

For all its own offensive firepower (its 443 total yards being the most in a game since 2007) Georgetown's pass defense continues to be inconsistent. Despite a number of impressive stops and individual play, particularly by Jeremy Moore, the Hoyas gave up 543 yards overall, 11th most in school history, and gave up 500 or more yards in consecutive weeks for the first time ever. . The 32 first downs allowed tied for second all-time.

Darby finished 24-47 for 340 yards, sixth best in Georgetown's modern era. Keerome Lawrence led all GU receivers with eight catches and 129 yards. Rushing was less effective, with Philip Oladeji leading the stat chart with 54 yards on 10 carries.

In 14 games since 2001 where Georgetown gave up 500 yards, GU is 1-13, with last week's Lafayette game being the only win under such circumstances. That a team could give up so many yards and still be one play removed from an upset is impressive, but in the final analysis Yale had too many opportunities to score, and the last was the one they needed.

For a student body that has only read about this team's exciting play over the last three weeks, Saturday offers a chance to see the new-look Hoyas in person, as Georgetown welcomes Holy Cross for Homecoming. The Crusaders (1-2) were defeated at Harvard, 34-6.

Game statistics:

                   GEORGETOWN             YALE
First downs                20               32
Rushed-yards           28-103           35-136
Passing yards             340              407
Sacked-yards lost        2-12              0-0
Return yards                0               24
Passes                24-47-1          35-55-1
Punts                  7-35.4           6-38.5
Fumbles-lost              1-1              0-0
Penalties-yards          9-78             5-45
Time of possession      24:04            35:56

Additional links follow below.

Game #4: Holy Cross (Sep. 25)

"It feels great. All the fans were out there watching, it feels great to make them proud."--RB Philip Oladeji, in the Washington Post

The surprising Georgetown Hoyas survived nearly 40 minutes of defensive serve and volley to score two fourth quarter touchdowns in a 17-7 win over Holy Cross at Multi-Sport Field Saturday, earning Georgetown its first Homecoming win in four seasons and its first over Holy Cross since 1999.

 With nearly 5,000 registrants, this was the largest Homecoming Weekend crowd since 1970 (when the Grateful Dead was the Homecoming band at McDonough Gym), but tickets sold out a half hour before game time and many tailgate participants were left to watch the game through a fence. Students that had heard of the new-look Georgetown offense probably expected fireworks, but the first half was anything but.

Holy Cross' opening drive carried the Crusaders into Georgetown territory, but the drive was halted at the GU 39 with an alert play by lineman George Cullen in stopping a 4th and 1 rushing play. For the next 27 minutes, fans were treated to a punting exhibition--13 of the next 14 drives of the half ended in punts, with only five first downs between the clubs during the span.

Georgetown's best drive of the half began in the first quarter and ended early in the second: a nine play, 41 yard drive which ended on downs at the Holy Cross 25. But for its part, the Crusaders could mount no effective offense. Holy Cross managed just one first down in the second quarter entering the final play, which appeared to be an incomplete pass at its 41. As the MSF scoreboard went to zero, Georgetown players began to head to the temporary area at the Southwest Quad in place of a locker room, but Holy Cross had called a timeout. The officials wound the play clock after the time out with players still leaving the field, but at least the defense stayed around, preventing a major embarrassment. Holy Cross aired out a long pass with the crowd (and a few GU players) looking to see what was going on, but DB Wayne Heimuli tackled WR Mike Fess at the GU 27 to formally end the half, 0-0. Holy Cross held a meager 146-143 advantage in total yards, with Scott Darby passing just 4-7 for 22 yards.

Georgetown opened the third quarter with a 10 play drive to the Holy Cross 24, but Darby lost the ball and set up the Crusaders for a quick five play drive and the first score of the afternoon, 7-0.

We had a little bit of a letdown there, head coach Kevin Kelly told The HOYA. At that point in the game it could have gone the other way, but, again, its a credit to the kids, they dug right in.

The tempo of the game demanded more from the Georgetown offense, and the Hoyas responded with a 15 play drive in response, keyed by a pair of eight yard passes from darby on two 4th and 7 plays, extending the drive into the HC red zone. On a 3rd and 5 at the HC 15, a screen pass to RB Dalen Claytor was sniffed out by the Crusader defense, and the Hoyas settled for a 31 yard Brett Weiss field goal, 7-3.

Whatever momentum the Crusaders received from the touchdown evaporated thereafter, with just one first down for the next 17 minutes of play. The teams traded punts early in the 4th, but a 59 yard Matt MacZura punt pinned back the Crusaders, and its succeeding punt managed a net of only 24 yards, setting up the Hoyas at its 40 with 12:20 to play. Converting on a key 4th and 1 at the HC 31, an 11 yard pass to WR Keerome Lawrence set up RB Philip Oladeji for a seven yard run into the end zone, 10-7.

Holy Cross went three and out at its 26 and punting failed them again, as backup punter Rob Dornfried's only kick of the day took a 24 yard shank across the Holy Cross sideline. Opening at midfield with 6:28, the Hoyas did more than run the clock down, but made a run for the end zone. A 22 yard run by Lawrence set up the score, where Darby found WR John O'Leary alone in the end zone, 17-7.

The Crusaders mounted a seven play drive in the final 2:46, but Georgetown's Paul Sant'Ambrogio picked off a Taggart pass at midfield to put the score out of reach.

Darby finished 26-44 for 191 yards, and rushed for 98 more on a career high 24 attempts. Georgetown held the ball for 19:03 in the second quarter and the HC defense visibly wore down in the 93 degree Washington heat. Georgetown owned a key advantage in net punting, giving them field position at two critical points in the game where it needed points. The GU defense held HC to just 116 yards in the second half.

Last home win
prior to this game

Last PL home win
prior to this game

Last Homecoming win prior to this game

GU record at Homecoming

First double digit win for GU in PL

Average punt return, HC

Average punt return, GU

Number of sacks, GU

Number of sacks, HC

Red zone opportunities, Georgetown

Red zone opportunities, Holy Cross

"Overall on defense, we did a good job," said HC coach Tom Gilmore. "But the big difference was third- and fourth-down conversions in the second half. Georgetown converted all three fourth down plays in the second half, and converted on all three red zone possessions.

Georgetown goes back on the road Saturday for a key Patriot league matchup at Colgate. The Red Raiders took a loss at Syracuse Saturday but have defeated the Hoyas seven consecutive times since 2002. Of course, Georgetown has had a away of breaking streaks this season.

Game statistics follow below:

                 HOLY CROSS       GEORGETOWN
First downs              12               19
Rushed-yards          25-86           42-167
Passing yards           176              191
Sacked-yards lost       1-8              0-0
Return yards              8               30
Passes              25-39-1          26-44-0
Punts                9-42.6           8-35.6
Fumbles-lost            0-0              1-1
Penalties-yards        5-46             4-45
Time of possession    27:30            32:30

Post game coverage:

Game #5: Colgate (Oct. 2)

 After a 383 yard effort against Holy Cross, a flat Georgetown offense managed just 113 yards in a 34-3 loss at Colgate Saturday.

For a series, at least, Georgetown stood toe to toe with one of the nation's best offenses. Colgate opened the game with a grueling 16 play, 72 yard drive, with eight of the 16 plays going to junior running back Nate Eachus. A holding call negated a Colgate touchdown, and the Hoyas held for a 20 yard field goal, 3-0. Helped by a 34 yard kickoff return, Georgetown started at midfield and drove to the Colgate 22, tying the score at 3-3. Unfortunately, it was the most productive drive of the day, as no subsequent Georgetown drive managed more than 21 yards the rest of the day.

Each team traded punts until the Hoyas' second punt was dropped by a Colgate returner and recovered by Nate Zimmel at midfield. Georgetown's play calling stayed conservative, with Darby taking three QB draws and throwing two passes for a total of -1 yard. At the 10:59 mark of the second quarter, GU punted back its best field position for the rest of the game, and Colgate never looked back.

The Red Raiders drove the ball relentlessly in its next drive, totalling 18 plays and nine minutes, with Eachus touching the ball on 12 of the 18 plays. A one yard run by Eachus opened the lead to 10-3 with 1:49 to play, but on its next series Georgetown went three and out and were caught short by a 24 yard Matt MacZura punt which set up Colgate near midfield with 0:47 to play. As opponents have done often this season, Colgate turned the late gift into more points, driving 45 yards in 1:09 and adding a field goal to go up 13-3 at the half. Colgate held a 272-43 advantage in total offense, with Darby passing 5-8 for just 19 yards.

The third quarter has been a period of rebirth for Georgetown's offense, but it was anything but. The Hoyas opened three and out and Colgate was stopped on downs at the GU 24, by QB Scott Darby fumbled the ball at the Georgetown 24, setting up Colgate for a seven play drive, 20-3.

Darby appeared to have been shaken up on the fumble and was replaced in the lineup by sophomore Isaiah Kempf, who could do no better than a drive which turned the ball over on downs near midfield. A 12 play Colgate drive ended the third quarter and followed into the fourth, with Eachus earning eight carries and the touchdown, 27-3. The Hoyas did not cross into Colgate territory thereafter, but a late fumble by Kenneth Furlough deep in GU territory set up the Red Raiders at the Georgetown nine with 7:33 to play. Despite the lead, Colgate coach Dick Biddle opted to leave in the first team offense, with Eachus rushing on each of the next three possessions past a tired GU defense and getting his fourth touchdown of the afternoon, 34-3.

Colgate's offense was no secret--it ran 30 of 35 times on first down, 23 of 28 times on second. Once the Georgetown defense was gassed in the second quarter, it was a hill the Hoyas could not climb, with an offense that seemed considerably out of sync. Quarterbacks Darby and Kempf carrying the ball all but six carries for the Hoyas and the Colgate defense quickly adjusted to it. Georgetown managed only four first downs since the opening drive and held the ball just 16:03 since its opening possession. The Red Raiders had 43 more plays than the Hoyas and punted only twice.

GU offensive plays

Rushing attempts,
Colgate RB Nate Eachus

GU first downs, opening series

GU first downs, entire second half

GU third down conversions

Colgate third down conversions

GU sacks, last three games

GU record
versus Colgate

After four of its first five games on the road, Georgetown returns to Multi-Sport Field Saturday for an out of conference game with Wagner College at 1:00 pm.

Game statistics:

                  GEORGETOWN          COLGATE
First downs                6               25
Rushed-yards           18-37           68-304
Passing yards             76              126
Sacked-yards lost       2-11              0-0
Return yards               0                5
Passes               15-24-0          12-17-0
Punts                 6-31.5           2-46.0
Fumbles-lost             3-2              3-1
Penalties-yards         4-40             5-73
Time of possession     19:21            40:39

Additional links follow below.

Game #6: Wagner (Oct. 9)

 Despite a defensive effort which forced four interceptions and held their opponents to just three points with 10:04 remaining in the game, turnovers of its own cost the Hoyas a bitter overtime loss to Wagner College Saturday, 22-16, before a small and increasingly frustrated crowd at the unnamed Multi-Sport Field Saturday. Georgetown was twice unable to hold a 10 point lead and allowed Wagner to dominate the final half of the game, and then some.

Georgetown owned the field position battle early in this one. each of its first three drives at or past midfield. After missing a 28 yard field goal in its second drive, the Hoyas held the Seahawks to -10 yards in its next drive and set up at the Wagner 42. A five play drive followed, with QB Scott Darby driving 12 yards for the score. 7-0. Georgetown's Jayah Kaisamba picked off the first of three interceptions in the next four series, setting up georgetown at its 25, but the offense soon sputtered. A 70 yard punt by Matt MacZura (the best in a game since 1991) backed the Seahawks up to its 21, where the Hoyas picked off another pass in GU territory, but could do no better than punting it back. After an exchange of punts, Kaisamba picked of another pass, this one at the Wagner 26, setting up the Hoyas to take charge with 29 seconds in the half. Darby threw three incompletions and the Hoyas settled for a 29 yard Brett Weiss field goal, 10-0.

At the half, Georgetown held a 139-89 advantage in total yards, a +3 on turnovers, and a nearly five minute advantage in time of possession (17:08-12:52). For no apparent reason, the roles were reversed and Georgetown did remarkably little to change the tide.

Darby's passing suffered in the first half (7-18-0, 53 yards). The coaches opted to go with a run-dominant...no, make that a run-only strategy, and Wagner quickly took notice.

After a Wagner punt to open the quarter, Georgetown ran the ball four straight times, with a sack on a 4th and 8 keeper at the Wagner 35. A 12 play drive followed for the Seahawks, advancing to the Georgetown 11 yard line before a key third down stop by LB Patrick O'Donnell and lineman George Cullen forced Wagner to settle for a 31 yard field goal, 10-3. After a 40 yard kick return by Jeremy Moore, Georgetown was back on the rushing train, carrying the ball six straight times to the Wagner 18, where slotback Keerome Lawrence was stopped two yards short after his fourth consecutive rushing attempt in as many plays in the wildcat set. A 32 yard Weiss field goal extended the lead to 13-3.

The Seahawks continued to show signs of life. A six play drive to open the fourth quarter ended with a Paul Sant' Ambrogio interception at midfield, and Georgetown seemed ready to put this game away. Three straight rushes followed, and on a third and 13, Darby lost the ball and ended the Hoyas' last good chance at closing the door on the Seahawks. Wagner drove into GU territory where Sant' Ambrogio came up big again, stopping the Seahawks on a fourth down and getting the ball back in Georgetown hands with 10:04 left to play and a 10 point lead.

And the Hoyas did nothing with it thereafter.

A six yard pass to John O'Leary represented the first attempt since the end of the first half, but georgetown was three and out and MacZura's punt pinned the ball at the Wagner 12 with 8:04 to play. Wagner QB Nick Doscher went to work in the air, completing 8-10 passes and converting on a key 4th and 1 at the Georgetown 21 to set up the Seahawks for a score. With a second and 5 at the 15, and just over three minutes remaining, Doscher connected on a 15 yard pass to exploit a weakening Georgetown defense that had been on the field over 23 minutes in the second half. With 2:56 to play, up 13-10, Georgetown needed two first downs to close out the game.

A Philip Oladeji rush got Georgetown that first first down; the only such first down in the quarter. But with 1:31 to play, Darby did the one thing a QB with the lead cannot do--he threw into coverage and gave the ball back to the Seahawks at midfield. This, the second of three critical mistakes by Darby, set up the Seahawks to tie or win the game in regulation. Doscher got the Seahawks to the GU 32 with six seconds to play, and the Seahawks appeared to have shot themselves in the foot by taking a delay of game penalty on a 49 yard field goal attempt. Moved back five yards, kicker David Lopez carried a career best 54 yard field goal into overtime, 13-13.

Each team managed a first down in the first overtime but both dries stalled inside the opponent 10 and field goals were traded, 16-16. Georgetown took over at its 25 to start the second overtime.

Remember that line above, the one that reads " Darby did the one thing a QB with the lead cannot do...?". Which he did. On 1st and 10 at the 25, Darby's pass was easily picked of by LB Keith Davis at the Wagner 20, who took off untouched to the north of the MSF for an 80 yard return to end the game, 22-16. It was Darby's third turnover of the game and fifth in the last three games, which have cumulatively led to 23 opponent points.

After 139-89 lead in total offense at halftime, Georgetown was outgained 319-208. Darby finished 10-24 for 68 yards and carried the ball for 18 QB keepers, more than running backs Philip Oladeji, Chance Logan, and Dalen Claytor combined. With passing at such a premium, it is not surprising that Wagner's davis was able to key off Darby's attempt to close out a superb Wagner comeback which allowed the Seahawks its first win over a Patriot League opponent, and Georgetown's third straight loss to a Northeast Conference team since the 2003 season.

Game attendance, smallest for an Oct. game at GU since 2005

Consecutive rushes by GU to open 2nd half

Net rushing yards during this streak

Total yards by GU in 1st quarter

Total yards by GU in 1st quarter

Total yards by GU in 3rd quarter

Total yards by GU in 4th quarter

9 for 75
Pass receptions, Wagner WR David Crawford

10 for 68
Pass receptions, entire GU team

1st half time of poss., GU

2nd half time of poss., GU

3rd down conversions in 1st half, GU

3rd down conversions in 2nd half, GU

4th down conversions, Georgetown

4th down conversions, Wagner

Sacks for GU,
last 3 games

Sacks allowed by GU,
last 3 games

"We beat an Ivy League team [in Week 2] for the first time and now a Patriot League team," said Wagner head coach Walt Hameline. "Its a good thing for our program and a good thing for our institution."

Game statistics:

                      WAGNER       GEORGETOWN
First downs               19               13
Rushed-yards          41-110           41-140
Passing yards            209               68
Sacked-yards lost       1-16             3-13
Return yards              94               36
Passes               24-45-4          10-24-2
Punts                 5-41.4           6-47.2
Fumbles-lost             0-0              3-1
Penalties-yards       13-100             4-37
Time of possession     34:27            25:33

Additional links follow below.

Game #7: Bucknell (Oct. 16)

Georgetown continued its October march down the standings Saturday, a flurry of mistakes, missed opportunities and turnovers in a 24-21 loss to Bucknell before an oversold crowd of 2,821 at unnamed Multi-Sport Field.

The 2010 offense, which introduced a crisp, efficient style of play to Georgetown's offense in September, looked more like the 2009-era offense in the first half. The Hoyas opened the game with three plays and -2 yards, and the GU defense than had to withstand a grueling 17 play drive from the Bison, encompassing 70 yards and nine minutes off the clock. The Bison drove to the GU 17 before a offensive penalty and a pair of defensive stops led to a 39 yard field goal try, which sailed right.

An 11 yard pass play helped move the Hoyas near midfield in its next drive, but opponents have long since figured out that a wildcat formation with Keerome Lawrence means a run, and the Bison shut down Lawrence and forced a punt. Unfortunately for Georgetown, the punt sailed well over Matt MacZura's head near the Georgetown 10 yard line, the first of a number of special teams missteps common to a team lacking focus. MacZura did all he could to avoid the turnover deep in GU territory by punting the ball, but it landed four yards short of the original fourth down line of scrimmage. Also going against Georgetown--a face mask penalty on Bucknell waived off by a overmatched officiating crew.

The Bison took over at the Georgetown 46 and went to work, largely in the air. Bucknell QB Brandon Wesley faced a third and 14 at the GU 36 and found RB Tyler Smith open for a first down, then caught the defense unprepared when it executed a trick pass from receiver Frank DeNick to an open Smith at the eight. Smith took the ball in from seven yards out, 7-0.

Georgetown was dogged through much of last season with a revolving door at QB, and returned to form, sitting Darby for sophomore QB Isaiah Kempf in the next series. Kempf was 2-4 for just 12 yards as the Hoyas kicked it back to Bucknell at its 11. On Bucknell's second play of the drive, Wesley fumbled the ball to Georgetown's Shabazz Kelton at the 16, setting up the returned Darby for a three play drive that found WR John O'Leary open in the end zone, 7-7.

Bucknell took over with 6:43 and executed another long drive, aided by three consecutive third down conversions by Wesley to midfield before a Bucknell foul pushed the Bison back to a 1st and 25 at its 48 with just over a minute in the half.

Georgetown has had a tendency to give up big plays prior to intermission this season, and they followed suit. On first down, the GU defense lost Wesley in coverage and the QB ran 38 yards to the GU 14. After Georgetown called time out with 1:06 to reset its defense, the coverage fell apart again, as WR Victor Walker was left alone for a touchdown, 14-7.

Georgetown's two minute drill was anything but. In four plays, Georgetown managed no yards and punted the ball back to Bucknell, but the Bison were content with the halftime lead. Bucknell controlled almost 20 minutes of the half, with 13 first downs to Georgetown's 4.

Bucknell was 0-5 entering this game.

The officiating crew was suspect in the first half but did their part to lose any remaining credibility early in the third. On Georgetown's first drive, a pass to Jamal Davis at at the Bucknell 33 was down and the ball popped loose afterward, whereupon the officials awarded the ball to Bucknell, added a personal foul on Georgetown OL Erik Antico trying to get to the scrum, then tagged coach Kevin Kelly with an obscure "sideline interference" penalty (which is usually dispensed as a warning) that set up BU at midfield. The drive stalled and Georgetown's defense came together by blocking a 45 yard field goal attempt.

Kempf was back in the lineup led the Hoyas on a quick four play drive, hitting WR Patrick Ryan and watching Ryan pierce the Bucknell secondary for a 32 yard TD, 14-14.

For the Hoyas of October, no good deed goes unpunished, and on the ensuing kickoff the special teams gave up a gaudy 76 yard return, with only a saving tackle by Gyasi Parrish averting a touchdown and settling for a field goal, 17-14.

Number of carries by Philip Oladeji, GU's leading rusher

Number of carries by all GU RB's

Bucknell time of possession

Consecutive games Georgetown has allowed a touchdown in a series off a turnover

Consecutive games Georgetown has allowed a untouched TD off an interception

Total points allowed by GU via turnover in 2010

Total yards for Bucknell, second half

Consecutive Bucknell road losses prior to this game

Consecutive Georgetown losses in October since 2008

Another head scratcher from the officials played to the Bison. After three straight incompletions by Kempf at midfield, a punt received a fair catch signal from Bucknell's but Bryce Robertson but he took the catch on the fly and began to run. When tackled by GU's Nick Campanella, officials tagged Campanella with a personal foul. Although the defense held in the ensuing drive, it played into a 10 penalty, 109 yard effort for the Hoyas.

The teams traded punts late into the third quarter when Kempf led the Hoyas on an eight play, 74 yard drive, hitting WR Max Waizenegger with a 43 yard pass to give the Hoyas a 21-17 lead. After the Bison went three and out, a 60 yard punt pinned the Hoyas at its 10. Having the lead into the fourth quarter, all the offense needed to do was to get out of its own end zone on the ground and control the clock.

Instead, the play from the sidelines was a flare pass that Bucknell LB Sean Rafferty picked off untouched at the 12 and went in for the stunning touchdown. The one play not to call, and Georgetown called it.

The shell-shocked MSF crowd saw the pass-only Hoyas go three and out with 10:34 to play, but the defense forced a stop and GU took over with 6:09 to play. Much as it did last week with 14 straight rushing plays against Wagner to ill effect, Kempf was now on a run of 16 consecutive pass attempts, a measure of predictability that was astounding. With a second and three at the BU 27, Kempf was stuffed in the backfield, and on third down, failed to connect with Keerome Lawrence with a sure first down.

With 3:08 to play, down three, PK Brett Weiss was available for a 48 yard attempt with no appreciable wind. Weiss was 5-6 on field goals this season, but the staff opted to go for it. Fourth and seven... but instead of reaching out for the first down with time on its side, the call went for the goal line, with Kempf throwing a 40 yarder past Kenneth Furlough in coverage. Bucknell ran out the clock thereafter.

Georgetown's offense was almost entirely on the pass. The Hoyas only attempted four rushing plays in the entire second half, all by QB Isaiah Kempf, with another two carries ending in sacks. Kempf accounted for eight of a team-low 16 rushing attempts all day, collecting just 41 yards.

Kempf finished the day 18-34 for 252 yards, Darby 5-8 for 34 yards. Georgetown held a 272-43 advantage in second half total yards, but this stat should say it all why the winless Bucknell Bison are winless no more: Bucknell scored its 10 second half points on two drives totaling 15 yards.

Game statistics:

                            BUCKNELL       GEORGETOWN
First downs                       17               14
Rushed-yards                  47-129            16-41
Passing yards                    137              286
Sacked-yards lost               3-26              1-4
Return yards                      13               28
Passes                       12-22-0          23-42-1
Punts                         5-44.8           7-30.9
Fumbles-lost                     1-1              2-1
Penalties-yards                 6-65           10-109
Time of possession             38:44            21:16

Additional links follow below.

Game #8: Sacred Heart (Oct. 23)

After scoring 10 points in the first nine minutes of the game, the Georgetown Hoyas appeared to have righted the ship following three straight losses in the month of October.

Appearances can be deceiving.

For the final 51 minutes of Saturday's game with Sacred Heart, it was business as usual for the now-sliding Hoyas, with a mix of offensive woes, a tired defense, and spotty special teams play which added another loss to Kevin Kelly's record, this a 33-20 setback before 3,189 in Fairfield, CT.

Sacred heartSacred Heart entered the game having dropped six straight, so a good start was vital for Georgetown to establish momentum, and they did just that. The Hoyas held the Pioneers without a first down on each of its first two possessions, and converted each successive series into points. Its first series drove 45 yards in nine plays, stalling inside the SH ten after a fall start and some predictable play calling (five straight rushes) held the line and Georgetown took a 27 yard field goal from Brett Weiss for the lead, 3-0. On its next series, QB Scott Darby was able to get a better mix of plays, keyed by a 21 yard pass play to Jeremiah Kayal and a 15 yard run by Dalen Claytor to set up a one yard Darby run and a 10-0 lead with 5:34 in the first quarter. This lead, ten, tied the largest lead held by the Hoyas all season.

Sacred Heart QB Dale Fink woke up the Pioneers through the air. Fink completed 4 of 7 passing for 59 yards to drive the Pioneers to the GU 17, but a big sack by lineman Andrew Schaetzke backed up the Pioneers and forced a 39 yard field goal by PK Jesper Fredriksson.

After controlling the ball for 6:49 in its first two possessions, the Georgetown offense began a run of quick, low-impact drives which swung momentum to the Pioneers and foretold a battle of attrition for the defense. Of the next ten drives of the game, only one lasted more than 2:07.

On Georgetown's next series, the drive lasted just four plays until RB Philip Oladeji coughed up the ball at midfield. The defense held the Pioneers to and three and out, thanks to some fine pass defense, but the offense was back to its old ways when, on the next series, Darby threw an interception at the Georgetown 32. Three plays, 14 seconds, and the defense was back on the field again.

It wouldn't take long for Sacred Heart to take advantage, as Fink went long to WR Gary Coles for the score, 10-10.

A Darby quarterback keeper and two incompletions marked Georgetown's next offensive lull, giving the defense just 1:14 of rest before a 37 yard Matt MacZura punt gave Sacred Heart the ball at midfield. Three straight pass plays totaled 50 yards and the Pioneers took a 17-10 lead.

Were it not for q 51 yard kickoff return by Jeremy Moore, the next Georgetown drive might have gone as the others did, but Moore's kick was enough to get a spark from the offense. Darby, who completed only nine passes on the day, completed three in this drive, including a 21 yard throw to WR Max Waizenegger to the SHU 12, but GU went back to the predictable ground game with predictable results, settling for a Weiss field goal, 17-13 to end the scoring in the second quarter.

A 17-13 score is not an insurmountable obstacle for any team, but Georgetown's third quarter could rightly be called a low point for the entire season. The Hoyas opened the half with three rushes and a punt. Five completions from Fink drove the Pioneers to the GU 18, where the defense held and Fredriksson added his second field goal, 20-13. Georgetown went three and out again, and on the punt the ball sailed high on MacZura, who was fortunate not to have the punt blocked. It was deflected, however, landing just 14 yards and setting up a short field for Sacred Heart. The Pioneers drove to the GU 5 where the defense stood strong yet again, forcing a 23 yard Fredriksson field goal, 23-13.

Georgetown would cough up the ball yet again, this time when returner Zack Wilke fumbled the kickoff at his 35. The Pioneers drove to the 12 but the defense tightened and Fredriksson missed a very short 29 yard field goal. Somehow, after all this, Georgetown was still ten points down, but it wouldn't hold. Four plays after taking the ball, GU punted again, but the high snap was picked up by the SHU punt team, who blocked the kick and returned it for a touchdown, 30-13.

The Hoyas ended the third quarter with 17 yards of total offense.

GU all-time record playing in state of Connecticut

Turnovers, Georgetown

Turnovers, Sacred Heart

Net punting yards, GU

GU time of possession, second half

Consecutive games GU has allowed a touchdown in a series off a turnover

Total points allowed by GU via turnover in 2010

Consecutive GU losses in October since 2008

The GU coaching staff pulled Darby and added Isaiah Kempf into the rotation. Kempf threw two incompletes and suffered two sacks in the next series, where a short MacZura punt failed to pin the Pioneers back. A ten play, 62 yard drive consumed five minutes of the quarter, where another defensive stop led SHU to connect on a Fredriksson field goal, his fourth, to go up 33-13. Kempf completed six straight passes in a drive to close to 33-20, but the Hoyas went four and out on its final series and Sacred Heart ran out the clock for their first win since its season opener.

The Hoyas managed 106 total yards on its first two possessions and 80 yards on its touchdown drive with the game out of reach. In the remaining 45 plays, just 121 yards, not counting the two fumbles, one interception, and one punt block returned for a touchdown. The Pioneers gained 376 yards on the Hoyas, but the Hoya defense surrendered only two touchdowns and forced five field goal attempts, understating the threat of a blowout had the field goals been converted to touchdowns. The 13 point margin of victory for Sacred Heart is telling for a Georgetown team that gave up 14 points from turnovers, further contributing to a slide that threatens to derail the 2010 season.

Game statistics:

                    GEORGETOWN     SACRED HEART
First downs                 18               22
Rushed-yards            32-110            37-81
Passing yards              188              295
Sacked-yards lost         3-23             3-28
Return yards                12               36
Passes                 20-37-1          22-39-0
Punts                   6-25.3           5-37.8
Fumbles-lost               2-2              0-0
Penalties-yards            1-5             4-34
Time of possession       26:28            33:32

Additional links follow below.

Game #9: Fordham (Oct. 30)

 Turnovers and special teams errors failed Georgetown once again, this time in a 24-19 loss to Fordham that marked GU's fifth straight loss.

The teams traded punts to open the game before the Hoyas spin the quarterback wheel again, bringing in Isaiah Kempf just 3:16 after Scott Darby had opened the first series. Going three and out, Georgetown gambled early, opting for a fake punt at its own 21 that netted a first down, but Georgetown punted it back at midfield. Fordham went to work behind RB Darryl Whiting, whose 47 yard run off tackle led a seven play, 80 yard drive that took just 2:06 and gave Fordham the 7-0 lead.

Darby returned to the lineup in the next series, a six play drive that punted the ball back to Fordham. Aided by a return to midfield, Fordham QB Ryan Higgins went long on first down, but was picked off at the GU 20, DB Jayah Kaisamba fumbled the ball on return and the Rams recovered, setting up at the GU 13 and scoring five plays later, 14-0.

Kempf returned for the next series: three and out. After a nine play Fordham drive to midfield, Higgins' pass was deflected and retrieved by DE Andrew Schaetzke, who returned the ball 45 yards for the touchdown, 14-7.

The game may have turned on a six minute exchange midway through the quarter. On the Georgetown kickoff, a 29 yard Ram return was aided by a 15 yard personal foul on Georgetown's Stephen Atwater and a subsequent 30 yard run by Fordham's Carlton Koonce, setting up a 38 yard field goal, 17-7. Georgetown responded with a 66 yard pass play to keerome Lawrence which set up Georgetown at the Fordham 11. A six yard run by Philip Oladeji got GU to the five, but the third down call was a short pass to Oladeji at the four, which Fordham held and set up PK Brett Weiss for a 21 yard field goal. Weiss, who had missed only on field goal attempt all season, saw it sail wide right. The Hoyas held Fordham and drove it back into the red zone, where Kempf promptly threw an INT in the end zone. Fordham responded with an seven play drive in 1:29 for a 24-7 score.

A sleepy third quarter yielded little, with Fordham missing a field goal before the Hoyas took over with 2:52 in the period. Aided by a key conversion on 4th and 11, Darby tossed a 38 yard pass to WR John O'Leary for the score, but Weiss was haunted again on the kick, sailing it wide left, 24-13. The missed point hurt the Hoyas on its next series, a 10 play drive early in the fourth quarter that upon the touchdown, GU opted to go for two and failed. What should have been 24-21 (or 24-24, had Weiss made the earlier kick) was only 24-19.

The Rams were held near midfield on its next series thanks to a fourth down stop, with the Hoyas getting the ball back with 3:17 to play. Six plays got the Hoyas to midfield but the ball was turned over on downs. Two GU time outs and a big stop on third and two forced the Rams to punt the ball back with 44 seconds to play, but a sack and two passes by Darby over the middle unfortunately helped run out the clock.

GU 3rd down conversion,
2nd qtr.

Fordham 3rd down conversion, 2nd qtr.

All-purpose yards, GU's Keerome Lawrence

GU conversions within red zone

Fordham conversions within red zone

Fordham record vs. GU
since 1983

Consecutive GU losses in October since 2008

Georgetown was comparable in total offense (454-422) but was badly outgained on the ground. Led by Darryl Whiting's 251 yards (the most by an opponent rusher since Colgate's Jordan Scott ran for 257 yards in the 2005 season finale), Fordham put up 318 yards on the ground compared to just 80 for Georgetown. Of the 80, almost half (39 yards) came on just three carries.

"Whiting's impressive showing comes in what is becoming a lineage of huge rushing performances against the Hoyas," wrote Nick Carroll of the Fordham Ram. "Last year, Whiting ran for 172 yards against the Hoyas and in 2008 [Xavier] Martin ran for 186 yards."

The Georgetown quarterback shuffle was a draw. Darby was 11-20 for 170 yards, Kempf 13-26 for 172. Georgetown gave up six quarterback sacks compared to just one for Fordham.

Was it the fumbled interception, the interception in the end zone, the kicking game, the rush defense? As with each of Georgetown's last five losses, it was a team effort, and one that the Hoyas will look back with regret when all is said and done.

Game statistics:

                          GEORGETOWN          FORDHAM
First downs                       20               25
Rushed-yards                   36-80           55-318
Passing yards                    342              136
Sacked-yards lost               6-25              1-8
Return yards                      55               17
Passes                       24-46-1          13-24-2
Punts                         5-34.8           4-39.3
Fumbles-lost                     3-1              1-1
Penalties-yards                 5-45             3-30
Time of possession             30:24            29:36

Additional links follow below.

Game #10: Lehigh (Nov. 13)

Despite forcing three first half turnovers, the Georgetown Hoyas were unable to avert the team's sixth consecutive loss, a 24-7 loss to Lehigh that assured the Engineers its first Patriot League title in six seasons and continued Georgetown's season of lost opportunities.

 A crowd of 2,819, many of them Lehigh partisans, saw Georgetown open up with the kind of offensive outlays that have bred trouble early in games this year. Two rushes for no gain led to a 3 yard pass play on 3rd and 11, and on the ensuing punt, Matt MacZura's kick went only 16 yards, setting up Lehigh in Georgetown territory. The Engineers drove to the GU 14 before the Hoyas' defense held, with a field goal opening the score at 3-0.

A six play, 16 yard drive proved to be Georgetown's best drive throughout much of the half. The teams traded punts for the remainder of the first quarter, and after three series with QB Scott Darby, offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude dropped Darby for Isaiah Kempf, who played the remainder of the game. Kempf's first series looked promising when he threw a 45 yard pass to Keerome Lawrence, but the play was called back due to holding and the Hoyas punted a fourth consecutive time.

The defense turned up the heat in the next series, as Lehigh QB Chris Lum was intercepted by David Quintero and returned to the Georgetown 32. A 12 yard gain by Philip Oladeji earned GU only its second first down of the game, but Kempf went back into the air with no success, and the hoyas were forced to punt a fifth time. Lehigh took over at its15 and built a 17 play, 80 yard drive that took up most of the second quarter. Lum completed a 29 yard pass on 3rd and 16 to keep the drive alive, and drove to the GU five yard line where the defense held for a second time inside the ten yard line and forced the field goal, 6-0.

The Hoya offense stayed with the run in its next series and went three and out. On a first down, Lum was picked off a second time, with senior Paul Sant' Ambrogio returning it to the Georgetown 42. Kempf went to the air but completed only 2 of 6 passes in the drive before a 4th and 3 at the Lehigh 40 where he found WR Max Waizenegger open down field for a 31 yard pass pay, the longest of the day for the Hoyas. A nine yard Dalen Claytor run pushed Georgetown ahead, 7-6.

Lum took over with 1:06 to play and drove into Georgetown territory, but the interception bug bit again, as Kyle Miller picked off a long pass at the GU six yard line. Despite being outgained 189-99, the Hoyas held a lead on Lehigh for only the second time in the ten years of the modern series.

Punts by GU to start game

Offensive plays, Lehigh

Offensive plays, GU

Lehigh time of possession, 4th qtr.

Lehigh third down conversion

GU third down conversion

Lehigh opened the third quarter returning to the run, with 32 yards on the ground in a drive that drove to the GU 23. Georgetown's defense came up big again when DL Andrew Schaetzke sacked Lum for a loss of 13 yards, keeping the Engineers out of field goal range. The Hoyas began their longest drive by time all season, a 14 play drive that consumed 11:33 of the third quarter clock. A two yard Keerome Lawrence rush helped extend the drive on 4th and 1 at the Lehigh 39, but when the Hoyas faced a 4th and 2 at the 29, the coaching staff opted to go for a field goal instead of a first down.

As it has frequently during the losing streak, the special teams failed the Hoyas. Brett Weiss' 46 yard attempt sailed wide right, and it marked a turning point in the game. Lehigh began to control the field and the clock, wearing down a Georgetown defense that had more than held its own for the first 40 minutes of the game against the top rated team in the league. Lehigh would score on three of its next five series to put the game out of reach.

The first of the scores came with relative speed. Lum connected on passes of 27, 12, and 27 yards to advance to the GU 3, where RB Michael Colvin took it n for the touchdown, 13-7. Georgetown went three and out on its next series, but the coaches inexplicably opted to go to a wildcat formation on 4th and one at its 38, which the Lehigh defense promptly stuffed. For its part, the Brown and White failed on a 4th and 6 at the GU 34, but the offense did nothing with it, going three and out.

The Georgetown series proved increasingly ineffective. With Kempf having the reputation as a pass-first quarterback, Lehigh keyed its defensive plans thusly. Taking over with 9:49 in the game, Kempf threw three incompletions and GU punted it back. Lehigh went on a 9 play, 55 yard drive with rushes of 11 and 21 yards to put the Engineers securely in the lead, converting on a two point conversion to extend the lead to 21-7.

Special teams foiled the Hoyas yet again as Jeremy Moore fumbled the ensuing kickoff return and the Engineers converted for a field goal, 24-7. In its final drive Kempf threw nine times, was sacked once, and turned the ball over on downs at the Lehigh 38. One kneel down was all that was required for Lehigh to win its first Pl title in six seasons and its first outright title since 2001. The post-game celebration on the unnamed Multi-Sport Field marked the second opponent to win the PL title on Georgetown's home field in five years, as Colgate took home the 2005 title in what would be Bob Benson's last game as head coach.

Georgetown's offense was far too inconsistent to seriously threaten in this game. The Hoyas' first four drives netted just 19 yards, while the four before Lehigh closed the scoring collected just 18 yards. With Georgetown's offensive M.O. well known to opposing coaches by now, Scott Darby was 2-5 for 11 yards, Isaiah Kempf 18-36 for 155. Lehigh's Chris Lum was 24-46 for 297 yards, and the Engineers outrushed the Hoyas 144-48, with 24 rushing yards under Darby's direction in the first quarter and 34 yards thereafter under Kempf. Georgetown managed just 2.1 yards per rush compared to nearly four yards a rush for Lehigh.

From a 3-1 start, Georgetown will seek to avoid finishing 3-8 in its finale versus Marist on Saturday.

Game statistics:

                      LEHIGH       GEORGETOWN
First downs               22               11
Rushed-yards          37-144            23-48
Passing yards            297              166
Sacked-yards lost       1-13             1-10
Return yards              18                9
Passes               24-48-3          20-41-0
Punts                 4-33.3           8-34.5
Fumbles-lost             0-0              1-1
Penalties-yards         7-50             2-15
Time of possession     32:05            27:55

Additional links follow below.

Game #11: Marist (Nov. 20)

 "I truly feel that this class will provide depth and competition at every position. The quality of this class is exciting not only for the coaching staff, but for Georgetown Football."--Kevin Kelly, May 4, 2007

Saturday's finale with Marist ends a long and frustrating season for a senior class which has endured through four grueling seasons of football.

The 2007 season opened at Stony Brook with a 35-28 loss, though few would have imagined the 28 points scored by the Hoyas that evening would be matched only four more times in four years. After 43 games and one norovirus outbreak, the Class of 2011 plays its final game against the only team it has defeated more than once--Marist. Of Georgetown's six wins over the last four seasons, two came to Marist, both at home and both in November. Unfortunately, in the midst of a six game slide which has scuttled the 2010 season, there are no guarantees.

This has been a vital group of players whose leadership and commitment has helped the Hoyas through some tough times. Please take the opportunity to attend the game and show these seniors your support.

  1. Erik Antico (OL, Rye, NY, 2007,08,09,10): Started most of the last three seasons on the offensive line.
  2. Rob Bates (OL, Malvern, PA, 2007,08,09,10): A starter since the middle of his freshman season, Bates has been a mainstay on a often fragile offensive line.
  3. George Cullen (DL, Janesville, WI, 2007,08,09,10): Worked his way from a freshman reserve to a senior starter, with 13.5 tackles as a senior. A 2008 PL All-Academic selection.
  4. Frank DiTommaso (DB, Short Hills, NJ, 2007,08,09,10): After playing in just five games over his first three years, DiTommaso has appeared in eight games this season, with one tackle in 2010.
  5. Shane Isdaner (DL, Gladwyne, PA, 2007,08,09,10): A walk-on as a freshman, Isdaner has been a four year reserve over his GU career. Younger brother of Greg Isdaner, a 2005 Georgetown recruit who opted to walk on at West Virginia, where he earned All-Big East honors.
  6. Shabazz Kelton (DL, New Brunswick, NJ, 2007,08,09,10): Appeared in 14 games over the last two seasons, with 13.5 tackles as a reserve. A 2009 PL All-Academic selection.
  7. Keerome Lawrence (QB/WR, New Haven, CT, 2007,08,09,10): A versatile performer throughout his four seasons, Lawrence has played in a variety of roles for the Hoyas, including a year at quarterback and parts of three seasons as a slot back and receiver. Lawrence threw for 481 yards as a QB, rushed for 498 yards, and caught 78 passes for 991 yards entering Saturday's game. Currently leads the team in receptions and second in kick returns this season.
  8. Patrick O'Donnell (LB, Media, PA, 2007,08,09,10): A three year starter at linebacker, with 47.5 tackles in 2010 and 158.5 tackles overall. A 2009 PL All-Academic selection.
  9. Philip Oladeji (RB, Plano, TX, 2007,08,09,10): A two year starter at running back, has led the Hoyas in rushing in 2009 and 2010, with 811 career yards. A 2008 PL All-Academic selection.
  10. Gyasi Parrish (RB, Cincinnati, OH, 2007,08,09,10): A two year contributor on special teams, he has 7.5 tackles on defense this season. A 2009 PL All-Academic selection.
  11. Nick Parrish (LB, Irving, TX, 2007,08,09,10): Parrish enters Saturday's game as the leading tackler in the modern era of Georgetown football, with 322.5 tackles, an average of 7.7 per game. Has started 39 consecutive games, most of any graduating senior this season. A 2007 PL All-Academic selection.
  12. Paul Sant'Ambrogio (LB, Bloomfield, NJ, 2007,08,09,10): A four year reserve linebacker with 130 career tackles entering Saturday's game, and a valuable special teams contributor.
  13. Geoffrey Schnorr (RB, Wappinger Falls, NY, 2007,08,09,10): A four year reserve, mostly on special teams. A three time PL All-Academic selection (2007,08,09).
  14. Dan Semler (OL, Annandale, VA, 2007,08,09,10): A 2010 co-captain, Semler is a three year starter at tackle, and a two time PL All-Academic selection.
  15. Danny Thompson, Jr. (DL, Weston FL, 2007,08,09,10): A three year reserve who has been a starter on the line this season, Thompson has 101 tackles over four seasons entering Saturday's game. A 2008 PL All-Academic selection.

In addition to these players, 17 other members of the Class of 2011 contributed to the team. All but two are still at Georgetown and will be on course to graduate with their class.
  1. Alex Carroll (RB, Dallas, TX, 2007): Rushed for 105 yards and one TD as a freshman.
  2. Casey Dobyns (P, Highland, MD, 2007,08): Played one season as punter before transferring to Richmond.
  3. Anthony Ford (DB, Southlake, TX, 2007): One season on roster.
  4. Arius Ford (DB, Southlake, TX, 2007): Played in nine games as a freshman, 16 tackles.
  5. Mychal Harrison (RB, Atlanta, GA, 2007, 08): Two year slot back and punt returner who was the Hoyas' third leading receiver in 2008.
  6. Steven Hillgren (WR, Newport Beach CA, 2007): One season on roster.
  7. Jamie Holloman (OL, Rye, NY, 2007,08): A two year reserve and two-time PL Academic selection.
  8. Enico Jones (DB, New Haven, CT, 2007,08): Two seasons on roster, 11 tackles.
  9. Dan Lenihan (DL, Ridgewood, NJ, 2007,08,09,10): Lost part of two seasons to injury, tied for third in TFL's as a junior.
  10. Kilgo Livingston (K, McLean, VA, 2007,08): Two seasons on roster.
  11. Michael Marrotta (LB, Bridgewater, NJ, 2007): Played five games as a freshman.
  12. Sean McNally (DB, Philadelphia, PA, 2007,08): Collected 60 tackles over first two seasons.
  13. Barney O'Donnell (QB, Cedar Rapids, IA, 2007): Highly regarded QB prospect but did not play as a freshman. Transferred to a junior college in California and is now at St. Ambrose College (IA).
  14. Brice Plebani (QB, Washington, DC, 2008,09): Two seasons on roster as a reserve quarterback.
  15. Jon Schoen (QB, Darien, CT, 2007): Did not play as a freshman. Three year letterman on GU lacrosse team.
  16. Justin Thomas (RB, Tucker, GA, 2007,08): Two seasons on roster.
  17. Tony Thornton (DB, Blackwood, NJ, 2007,08): Posted 21 tackles as a freshman.

Georgetown ended a six game losing streak in a defensive-minded 14-7 win over Marist, ending the 2010 season at 4-7.

 The first quarter was an exercise in futility for Georgetown's offense--by contrast, Marist (3-8) saw its best offense early in the game, driving deep into GU territory on its first possession, but missing a 42 yard field goal. The Hoyas went three and out and suffered a 21 yard punt by freshman Matt MacZura, which set up the Red Foxes at midfield. A 20 yard pass from Marist QB Tommy Reilly to WR Joe DeSimone keyed a six play, 50 yard drive that was capped by RB Ryan Dinnebeil scoring from four yards out, 7-0.

The teams traded punts into the second quarter, whereupon the Red Foxes suffered the first of three interceptions, and a turning point at that. On a first down at midfield, Reilly's screen pass was picked off by junior DL Andrew Schaetzke, who advanced the ball to the Marist 28. Six plays later, Philip Oladeji took a one yard carry for the score, 7-7.

Three more series netted three more punts, and when Reilly took a sack deep in Marist territory, the ensuing punt set up the Hoyas at the marist 48 with 4:03 in the second quarter. A 12 yard pass to RB Dalen Claytor was boosted by a Marist personal foul to the MC 22, followed by a defensive offside penalty to the 17. On the next play, Claytor brook through the Red Fox line for the touchdown, 14-7.

Marist lost Reilly to a second quarter injury and went with freshman Chucky Looney at quarterback, who was 11-22 for 96 yards but found himself under growing pressure from the Hoya defense. Looney drove Marist deep into GU territory late on the quarter, closing to the five, but a heavy rush forced Looney into a bad pass that was intercepted by junior Robert McCabe at the 12, ending the last considerable drive of the half, and, unbeknownst to the teams, of the day, as the teams ended the half 14-7.

The second half was an anomaly of sorts--for the first time since Kevin Kelly's opening win at the Hilltop on Sep. 9, 2006, neither team scored in the second half. Looney drove the Red Foxes back into GU territory twice in the third quarter, stalling each time at or near the GU 40. The Hoyas did not get the ball over midfield, but off its second series of the quarter benefited greatly from a 56 yard MacZura punt that backed up Rooney at the 10.

Three plays later, Looney was picked off by Jeremy Moore at the 37, setting up Georgetown for the insurance score. The Hoyas drove eight plays to the Marist four, but QB Scott Darby threw an interception right to Marist's Nick Mainiero in the end zone.

Last GU game holding opponent to 7 points or less

Rushing yards, Marist

Penalty yards, Marist

Punts, both teams

4th quarter yards, GU

4th quarter yards, Marist

Last season where GU won the final game of the season

Entering the fourth quarter, the GU defense backed up Marist again, setting up the Hoyas at midfield, but Darby found Maniero on a second INT three plays later. Mainiero appeared ready to return the pass for the touchdown, but Darby made a touchdown-saving (and perhaps game-saving) tackle at the GU 15 with 11:36 to play. Two offensive penalties pushed the Red Foxes back to its 30, and an eight yard sack by DL Danny Thompson Jr. pushed Marist out of field goal range altogether, forcing a reluctant punt with 9:53 left.

Georgetown rushed the ball five straight time but had to punt the ball back, settling for a 27 yard punt by MacZura which favorably gave Marist the ball at the GU 49. The GU defense mounted another stop, led by a Paul Sant'Ambrogio sack which forced Looney and the Red Foxes out of field goal range and Marist punted it back again with 4:50 to play. This time, the Hoyas ran out the clock, a ten play drive which netted four of Georgetown's 18 first downs for the game.

Darby finished the game 15-29 for 127 yards, with Philip Oladeji leading GU runners with 17 carries for 71 yards. In a season where no Georgetown rusher topped 100 yards, Oladeji's 71 was the second best individual output of the season. The story, however, was the defense, holding the Red Foxes to fewer yards over each of the four quarters: 117 in the first, 91 in the second, 85 in the third, and a negative-18 in the fourth.

Georgetown ends the 2010 season 4-7, its best finish since the 2005 season but continuing a 12th consecutive season under .500. Georgetown looks to return as many as 15 starters next season, while it honored its four-year senior lettermen in pre and post-game events.

Game statistics:

                     MARIST       GEORGETOWN
First downs              16               18
Rushed-yards          33-71           35-159
Passing yards           232              127
Sacked-yards lost      7-37              0-0
Return yards             54               37
Passes              20-36-3          15-29-2
Punts                8-34.3           8-33.5
Fumbles-lost            0-0              1-0
Penalties-yards       11-80             5-51
Time of possession    34:42            25:18

Additional links follow below.


HoyaSaxa.com: The One-Stop Web Site For Hoya Football™
An independent web site not affiliated with Georgetown University. All rights reserved.